Wednesday 10 March 2010

Editation




TecnoTeach: Do We Still Need Editors?

Reading this post got me thinking about my personal blogging journey, over the last few months I have developed immensely in this area.  Previously I kept a personal blog which although published on the internet did not link back to me.  I never shared the address of my personal blog with anybody and even now I have not shared the link.  The development, and indeed progression, came when we were set a blogging task as part of our university ICT coursework.  Not wanting to share my other blog I set up this blogger account.
Initially I experimented with a style similar to my other blog as this is the style of writing that I enjoy most.  As time went on and I started my ICT elective we were again asked to keep a blog but this time it was to form part of our portfolio of work for assessment.  The more I posted the more confidence I developed to the point that I will easily share links to my blog through Twitter.  The reflective element has also been beneficial in developing my placement reflections which are a required element of the course.

In relation to the question of editors for children blogging I completely agree that this is a necessity.  The notion of comparison between parents can get extremely competitive and this may dent confidence in children which in turn contradicts the purpose of keeping a blog for educational reasons.
The freedom of using your voice, with or without a great reader following, can only promote creative thinking in children.  As for needing editors I would like to think that eventually, as children become more experienced with blogging and net etiquette, they will have the skills to maintain suitable content in these areas.  Perhaps the editing and moderating responsibility could be handed over to the pupils on a peer level.

No comments:

Post a Comment