Wednesday 16 February 2011

fitting for the fit?

Junior Fitness Trainer (Wii) Screen24 hours in and I can still see the game as being useful in an early years class.  Granted the graphics are not likely to set any graphics designers running for a security blanket but the concept of the game could easily be used to develop core strength and gross motor skills.  Like many Wii games you create your own character and this is a straightforward process.  The game is set in an island resort and the premise of community fitness could be extended to the classroom.  Gamers use the balance board and/ or controllers and there are two difficulty levels and 10 activities to choose from, my favourite being the tribal dance.

Having come across the game 'Junior Fitness Trainer' for the Wii and thinking it could be interesting for an early years classroom, I had a quick look for reviews.  I found just one (via the redlaser app on my iphone) and it was hardly complimentary with comments regarding basic graphics and difficult to use controls.  Not being one who takes what I am told as gospel I decided to buy the game and hand it over to my guinea pigs (daughters) to test it out.


Like any resource, you need to know this game before you would use it in a classroom.  I wouldn't specifically  bring a wii into a classroom just for Junior Fitness Trainer, rather add it to an existing school/ class game collection as while it seems fun and there are possible curriculum links. I believe there are other resources more fitting to the purpose.  As an additional activity it's perfect, as a context for learning I'm not sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment