Tuesday 26 January 2010

The Forgotten Prequel

Often when I write, or even speak, about something that interests me I forget to fill in the gaps that have led me to that point.  It seems to slip past my conscious brain that people do not automatically know my background, my thoughts, my ideals and my ambitions.  Therefore I am guilty of assumption but technically speaking it is a subconscious omission and I am attempting to rectify that.  You are reading the proof.

At a point near the end of B.Ed.1 we had to choose an elective.  The choices where subject based and I dithered between science and ict for my first choice.  It was difficult, I enjoy both and wanted to make sure that I would chose the one that would provide the most development for me.  I spoke to the lecturers from each department and still I was not convinced which way to go.  Science is something that I have always enjoyed, in high school I was involved with as much science as possible it was one of my subjects (well 3 of them actually).  Ict, on the other hand, was not one of my subjects.  Don't misunderstand me, I did enjoy it but it didn't spark an enthusiasm the way science, or even maths, did.  Why was this?


                                               photo_vcr_betamax

You know the cliché about programming the video?  "How do you programme a video?  Get a child to do it" Well I was that child, literally.  I never had to think about using technology I just did it, still do.  In my mind this is how I view children.  They just do it, they don't worry about pressing the wrong button.  Perhaps this is a mistake?  If it is all my theories are unfounded and have no structure to support them at all.  Yet, I still believe in this.  If you want to solve a problem you should not shy away from it, you should tackle it head on.  This is how children, especially young children, approach technology.  Openly.

When it came to selecting the choices for the elective I still hadn't decided for sure.  I chose ict as a first choice and justified it by saying that I chose the option that I thought would be more difficult to teach.  This is both true and false.  Teaching ict is not something that I plan to do a great deal of.  Before you question this question yourself about it.  Do we need to teach children how to use ict?  Do they need to have lessons devoted to desktop layout, how to save a file or send an email?  Or should you teach with ict as a tool?

At the end of first year I knew that ict was something much more than people realised, I was aware of some of the things happening in the field of education yet my knowledge was basic and undeveloped.  It still is.  When we returned to university and started our 2nd year I was still naive about so much.  The last 6 months have been a very steep, but enjoyable, learning curve for me.  I have discovered the benefits of having a PLN (personal learning network), I have been involved in using ict the way I would like to in a classroom, I have even spoken with teachers that were unsure of using ict in other ways and convinced them to try some things.

My children have always used technology.  They both played on a computer from around 6 months old.  I have never had to show them how to send an email yet they do, I never showed them how to use msn yet they can, I have definitely never shown them how to use my itunes account yet I get invoices for their apps frequently (mostly free ones).  They have of course watched me doing all these things and got hold of my itunes password whilst I was distracted one day.  This is not a problem for me.  They know to be sensible, they know which kind of app is suitable for them, they also know not to buy anything priced over £1 without permission.  They try things and delete if they don't enjoy.  (I must add in here that they both have an ipod touch, see forgetting about detail again!)  They have daily challenges that I email to them and they complete before sending their answers on a Friday afternoon.  They keep in contact with family who live far away through ebuddy.  They plan things to do together in games.  They are collaborating and communicating every time they use them.  They use other devices also and have monsters.  My children are not permanently attached to a gadget or a computer, they do all sorts of activities.  The technology is just a piece of the puzzle that is their learning journey.  This is the same for me; technology is only one piece of the puzzle but quite an essential piece.

I have always seen potential in games based learning, it is only now that it is becoming accepted that I can admit that without sounding crazy.  Haven't we always used games to help learning?  Think snap, snakes and ladders, monopoly.  Why couldn't we use computer games for the same purpose?  Even the earliest computer games involved some form of problem solving and reasoning skills.  They have certainly always had the capability of holding children's attention for long periods.

If we want to making learning an enjoyable experience for children then we need to present it in enjoyable forms.  I have said this many a time and no doubt will repeat it often, children just get technology.  If you think you need a book to be able to learn you would be wrong and if you think I'm saying that you need a computer to learn you would also be wrong.  What you need to learn is motivation.  In my eyes no matter where that motivation comes from it can only be a good thing.  I believe that teachers want to see children develop and build on their sense of awe at the world.  I get that sense of awe when I see a child learn and in return I learn so much more.

As to why I went with ict over science?  I'll let you decide that.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you to an extent, however, having taught ICT for four years to all age groups I would not say they are all able and capable and possibly as techno as your children. They can do what they can do and know what to do. Some come from homes where the parents do not want them to engage with technology so they need the opportunity at school. Some come from homes where they use technology a great deal but do not know how to use educationally. There are many challenges out there and you need to be ready to meet the needs of all. I know you will know this and I do know how enthusiastic you are regarding ICT in the learning environment. But be prepared for when you want to teach the crowd thinking they will all be able to do and some can and some can't, some get upset and some freeze. they are not all digital natives in contrary to Mr Prensky's views.

    ReplyDelete