Saturday 30 January 2010

ICT: Blog on Blogging





to blog or not to blog










Why have a blog?


Tina Bettison in 'Social Networking for Rookies' states


"The purpose is to engage, inform and entertain, especially if you want to build a community of followers."


But what is a blog? The Oxford dictionary has this definition -


"blog: noun, An Internet website containing an eclectic and frequently updated assortment of items of interest to its author. 1999-. [Shortening of weblog.] So blogger, noun."


Often a blog is likened to a diary.  A diary is a place to record your thoughts, opinions and experiences therefore a blog is indeed like a diary.  The difference comes in the form of interactivity.  A diary is rarly shared with others and it is definitely not a collaborative piece of work.


A blog, on the other hand, offers users and readers the opportunity to share opinions, to comment on the opinions of others and it can also provide a platform for the justification of opinions.  The author can offer information relating to experiences and opinions and provide explanation on their conclusions.


Bettison also refers to the concept that a blog should be subjective.  Without some element of bias a blog will lose the sense of personality that engages the reader.


It is this personality that makes a blog an ideal medium for reflection.  Entries that are formed quickly demonstrate initial reactions to experiences and this can remind the author of their opinion at a particular point in time.


This is the form of entry that I find most difficult to publish.  From writing these draft entries I am learning a great deal about myself.  I am able to recognise the reactive side of my personality.  I often write an entry that shortly afterwards I no longer completely agree with.  I have learned to hit the save button rather than publish.  Bettison would say this technique detracts from the blogging experience and perhaps I could contribute my reaction to a lack of confidence in sharing my opinions.


Either way I know that I am on a learning journey and the posts that I publish will hopefully demonstrate this to readers and perhaps more importantly to myself.  I have a record of my progress which in turn can provide a basis for future reflection.  Like watching a child grow: if you see them every day the gradual change can be barely noticeable until you compare their current height to the measurement taken six months previously.  In six months time I will have a comparison point that will highlight the contrast between my current knowledge and the knowledge that I have gained.


Over the last year I feel I have learned a great deal, yet the more knowledge I gain the more I see how much I still have to learn.  This can be linked to the words of Socrates "scio me nescire", the most common translation for this being "I know that I know nothing".  The partner sensation to this statement is what gives me the desire and motivation to find out more.  The more I feel my amateur status the greater my hunger for the next experience, the next chance to grow in knowledge.


This is the best description that I can currently offer for my love of learning.  I learn from everything but most importantly I learn from everyone.

1 comment:

  1. A well written post and I do believe that having time to think before you post is an important aspect as all too soon we react and do not think and the consequences of reacting are far greater than reflection. I would stick to your tried and trusted method of draft then post as thinking and reflecting time are important skills whether on-line or whether face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete