Sunday 7 February 2010

Using Computers

View Image"Computer use for most children under the age of three does not have much meaning for the child."  (Meggitt, 2007, p77)


I came across this statement in the text Child Development An Illustrated Guide and was immediately opposed to such a sweeping statement.  Then I began to doubt my own personal opinion, after all this statement has a foundation based on research whereas my opinion is based on limited personal experience.  It is often the case that when I read the work of professionals I challenge my own opinions and rightly so, sometimes my views are altered sometimes they become stronger and sometimes they remain unchanged.  This is what the process of learning is about.
View Image
In this case I have decided that I disagree.  Computer use for anyone can hold no meaning if it is not utilised correctly.  I believe that young children can benefit greatly from guided use of a computer or any technology.  Children like response and used in the correct way a computer can provide a desired response.  Infants are drawn to technology, the image of a toddler holding a telephone to their ear is nothing new so why would they not get meaning from a computer?  For me the issue should be about exposure time and balance.  I hate hearing about children sitting for hours playing games consoles or watching television.  Both of these mediums can be used to beneficially develop children's minds but we need to remember to encourage children to participate in other activities.  Outdoor play, boardgames, simple playing with toys, role play, art and craft are all essential childhood activities, most importantly we need to remember to talk with and listen to children from birth.

2 comments:

  1. Via Twitter (http://teachtechy.wordpress.com/) - I think toddlers need non-ict comms, plenty of outdoor and literal exposure, with peers and adults - Vygotsky ZPD

    ICT,Geog, Maths, English and Graphics can all be covered through Orienteering and Geocaching using a PDA or Iphone or such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that throughout the whole blog you have captivated the reader by the use of images and have made reading deeper by linking your blog with reading that will develop the readers understanding further. You have clearly spent a lot of time on this and it has paid off.

    ReplyDelete